Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April 30, 2013

Hello everyone!

This past week has been pretty crazy, but I don't remember too much about it since it was a blur. I'll go over what happened Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday though as well as details about the flight and such.

Before going to Sunday, we got transfers information and I'm going home (surprise surprise) and Elder Lyman was going to be in a trio here in Cuenca. We then got a call from the Mission Office explaining that he will be in a trio here because he is going to be an Office Elder. Specifically the Secretary. It's funny since I was talking about the office a lot while I was there in Cuenca and explaining the importance of empadronamiento [census]. He will now understand it from a deeper level.

Anyway, Sunday it snowed in Cuenca, which was crazy since I haven't seen snow in Spain since I've been here. It snowed a bit in Valladolid before I left for Madrid, but nothing too crazy. The Branch President of Cuenca offered to give us a ride to church and back since it was cold and snowy. Elder Lyman and I played a bit in the snow since we had to wait for him to arrive. We also explored the underground parking since we could and had the time.



Church was interesting to say the least. I spoke about missionary work and it seemed like I was giving my farewell talk, which I guess I kind of was, but you know, whatever. Then the Branch President's son Ezequiel (or something like that) got up and spoke, and it turned into a farewell talk for me too. He invited others to come up to the stand and share thoughts and feelings about me, and although I don't think you are supposed to do that, it was very touching to me since I feel I didn't make a huge impact, but I guess I did. Every member of the branch spoke a bit and were standing on the stand by the end of his talk and it was weird and kind of cool at the same time. We then ate with the Branch President and his family at the church building and then went home for medio dia [lunch break]. We then decided to stop by some member's houses so that I can say goodbye to them as well as some investigators that are awesome. The last place we stopped by was the Notario family and they made me a cake and I ate as much as I could of it. It was great. Their oldest daughter who worked at the CCM made me a card too, signed by the members of the branch. I loved it!

The Notario family saying goodbye to Elder Bauer

Monday we were off to Madrid by bus to pick up Elder Lyman's new companions for three weeks until he gets sent to the office, and to drop me off with others that are going home. On the way back, we passed by a section that was still very much snowy and had pine trees. It looked really pretty! We got to the bus station and got picked up by the office elders and were taken to the Stake Center. I remember what happened from here from the office days, but I didn't think that I would see this from the perspective of the Elder going home. I was both excited and bummed that it was ending so soon. We got to the Stake Center and had our meeting there, then the elders that were going home were set loose to go around Madrid since it was P-Day. Elder Perkins and I decided to be companions for the day and we went to a restaurant to say goodbye to some other missionaries and to get some food near the Atocha train station. We then went to San Sebastian de los Reyes. I wanted to see about getting some small Span flags and last minute souvenirs before leaving and Elder Perkins was okay with that too.

Elders Bauer, Perkins, and Hermana Volquardsen

The last dinner in the Mission Home

Group of Missionaries leaving

We then took the bus up to the Mission Home and had our final dinner and our final interview with President Jackson. I was reunited with Elder Hilton and that was a fun experience. We talked about our mission and it was great. He had family come up to tour his mission for a week, so even though he lives in Texas, he didn't fly back with me. We then saw the Office Elders and I talked to my Office Grandchild Elder Pluim a bit and that was fun. He took my residency card, and that was sad to see it go. I had that card since the Valladolid days. Anyways, the Hermanas [Sisters] that were going home then went to their room, and the Elders went to our room which was off the kitchen. It looked like a garage, but had six to eight bunk beds. We were weighing our maletas [suitcases] and getting things ready for our trip home. I took a lot of stuff out of my large suitcase and left it there for anyone to take so that I could be under the weight limit. We then took turns showering and getting ready for bed. I could honestly say that I didn't sleep too well.

Office Elders Levorson and Pluim

Room I slept in, those are my new suitcases on the left

Tuesday was the day. I was so nervous that I couldn't sit still. The office Elders came to take everyone but me to the airport since my flight wasn't until later. I walked around the empty mission home since President and Sister Jackson had to go early as well. When the office elders came back they had another missionary that was either going home or to the islands with them, so that was fun. They were going to drop him off first and then me since his flight left before mine does. The Elders that came to get me were Elders Johnson and Winkelkotter, the pedidos [orders] and piso [apartment] Elders.

We got going and they were using the TomTom [GPS] to guide them to the airport, and they took an exit I had never taken before. It ended in a dead end. The elders were confused and didn't know where to go or how to get to the airport. I then told them that since I was in the office before, I still knew how to get there. I then sat up front and guided them to Terminal 2 where the first Elder had to go. I then guided them to Terminal 4 where I needed to go and that was fun. I was an "Office Elder" just before I left, haha. I then checked my bags and sat at the gate that I would be boarding my direct flight to Texas. An older couple was sitting near me and started talking to me in English explaining that they were members going back to the states. We talked for a bit and I mentioned that I was finishing my mission and such.

We then boarded the plane and I was in the very back of the plane. Literally I could see where the flight attendants came out to serve stuff. I tried to sleep, but the Enya song with the lyrics "on my way home, I remember, every good day" was going through my head. Made me remember the great days of the mission. The flight was the longest flight I have ever been on, and I got up a few times to stretch my legs. 10 hour flight! Also the longest day of my life! I landed and was heading over to customs, and the line was super long. I couldn't even see the customs table it was so long.


I finally got though and was getting my luggage. Nerves crept in since I haven't seen my family in a long time. I got to where the door was to greet them, and stopped for a moment. I knew that when I walked through those doors, it would be pretty much the end of my mission. I took a deep breath and walked through the doors. Very warm welcome home from my family, and I was happy and sad at the same time. We then drove to Weatherford to get me released by the Stake President, but he wasn't there. We had to go to his house which was in a different town. We had eaten dinner and I had drank a proper cup of Root Beer for the first time in a long while and I was feeling very sleepy since I had been awake already for over a day. We got to his house and he interviewed me and had me take my chapa [name tag] off. Literally the hardest thing I have ever done. I didn't want to do it, and it I didn't for the longest time. I finally did and my two year mission was completed.

When we got home I started unpacking a bit to show my family the stuff I had and the swords that I had as well. I also needed my pajamas, which was my main reason for unpacking, but I decided to show them things as well. Thank you for following me on my adventure. It was a great one that's for sure, even though I miss it greatly. This may be the longest post here yet, but I hope you don't mind taking a peek into a missionary's mind when coming home after a full two years of serving the Lord. I can honestly say that I have a great testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is His church, and He is the one at the helm. Although the mission is hard, I can honestly say that the past two years were the best two years of my life to this point and I would not trade them for anything. A lot of growth has come of these two years and I hope to have the opportunity to serve again later on in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment